Connect with Us

 

Instagram

 

Site Search

Timeline of 421 Howard Street in Petoskey Michigan.


Unknown - 1897
Owner: Andrew and Louisa Lindell

* There is an "Andrew Lindell" listed as a "Cabinet Maker" for Petoskey, MI (no address given) in the 1884 publication of THE TRAVERSE REGION, Historical and Descriptive, with Illustrations of Scenery and Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Some of its Prominant(sic) Men and Pioneers 

1899 - 1903 : Schilling's Feed Store - Owner: Samuel S. Schilling 

On November 20, 1897 Samuel S. Schilling purchased the building from the Lindell's, of Petoskey, for $1400.00.  At the time, Samuel S. Shilling was married to Alice, whom he married on 25 December 1881.  They resided on Fulton Street between Howard and Petoskey streets.  Mr. Schilling was listed as a wagon maker in the 1882 Petoskey City Directory.Could maybe be Schillings Feed Store

As insurance maps would indicate, a small, one story wood frame building existed on the property when purchased.  It can only be assumed that new construction on the property would have started in spring of 1898.  According to the news item in The Independent Democrat dated 22 March 1901, the building had been in use for about a year. 

The 1899 Petoskey City Directory lists the Schillings as living at 421 Howard Street.  A 1900 US Census dated 6 June 1900 lists the Schillings and their son Clarence(15) residing at 421 Howard Street.  On 9 January 1906 Alice L. Schilling deeded her interest in the property to Samuel S. Schilling.  A division of property following a divorce no doubt. 

On November 29, 1915, Clarence James Schilling of Stockton, California, sole heir at law of Samuel S. Schilling – deceased, late of Los Angeles, California and Ethel M. Schilling, his wife, sold the building to the Knights of Columbus Building Association of Petoskey for $1.00 and other valuable considerations.  The Schilling Family maintained ownership until November 29, 1915.  The Schilling name can still be seen on the front of the building.


1903 - 1909 : Cornwell Beef Company Owner: A. Nowack (unconfirmed.)  

It is believed they were a wholesale seller of meats.  Note the Schillings still owned the building.  

  

 1909 - 1911: City Bottling Works - Owner: Charles Faulkner

There are numerous historical mentions around 1900 of a "City Bottle Works of Iron Mountain MI (see photo below).  It stands to reason that they may have had a remote bottling location in Petoskey to serve those in lower Michigan.  Responsible for the Famous Petoskey Constitutional Restorative Water. 
City Bottle Works of Iron Mountain, MI    

1911 - 1924 : Hamill's Meat Market  - Owner: Herbert Hamill


According to the Petoskey City Directory of 1903, Hamill's Meat Market was previously located at 425 Howard Street.  It appears they took occupancy at 421 Howard Street in 1911.  The business seems to have operated until at least 1921.  In The Petoskey Evening News 24 October 1927 Herbert Hamills death notice was published.  It describes him having closed his business "about 6 years ago", consistent with the Petoskey City Directory listing Hamill's Meat Market as occupants of 421 Howard Street in the 1921 & 1922 edition

 

1924-1927 : Parish's Grocery Store - Owner: William Parish. 
Early 20th Century provider of local groceries.

1928 - 1929 : Vacant  - Owner : Unknown

1930 - 1978 : Review Printing CompanyOwner: William F. Schaller

Currently operating as the Petoskey News Review

1978 - 2002 : Grain Train - Owner: Operated as a local Co-operative

They offered a nice selection of both packaged & bulk, natural and organic foods, herbs, vitamins and supplements. The Grain Train Co-op is now located up the road at 220 E. Mitchell Street.

July 2003 - Today: Julienne Tomatoes Cafe & Bakery Owner: Julie Adams

Since 2003,  Julie has been serving the finest food in Northern Michigan.  Locals and visitors agree, Julie's housemade soups and handcrafted sandwiches are a wonderful addition to the downtown Petoskey landscape.  They look forward to seeing you on your next trip through town.